You know the feeling when you eat too much and just want to go put your sweatpants on and lay down until you feel like you can move again??? Bloating is that uncomfortable feeling that makes us look and feel much heavier than we really are. It is caused from overeating, poorly combined meals and not going to the bathroom on a regular (daily) basis.
Here are some tips to help you avoid the bloat once and for all.
1. Eat until you are 80% full. It takes a while for your brain to receive a signal that you are full. Because of this we tend to over eat and then feel like crap afterwards and quickly throw on our sweatpants so we have more room. When you eat until you feel 80% full you give your body a chance to catch up and about 20minutes later you’ll feel more full and satisfied.
2. Avoid eating starches and proteins together. Meals that combine starches and proteins are the hardest to digest. You put your digestive system into a frenzy trying to break down these foods the best they can, causing bloating in the meantime. Although a turkey sandwich or chicken and rice dinner may sound healthy, its causing a digestive nightmare in your body.
3. Fruit should only be eaten on an empty stomach. It digests the fastest (within about 20min) so if you eat it after a heavier food like chicken, it’s going to sit on top of it until the chicken is digested and out of the way.
4. Drink water. Most people don’t get enough water on a daily basis. Everyone is different so the 8 cups a day may not be what you need. The rule of thumb is to drink half of your body weight in ounces each day. So if you way 140lbs, drink 70 ounces of water. When you don’t drink enough water your body becomes dehydrated. This causes your body to pull water from the walls of your intestines causing constipation. Constipation=bloating.
5. Eat more fiber! Make sure you are getting enough fiber every day to help eliminate toxic build up in the intestines. You can only get fiber from plant foods. The best way to do this is to drink a green smoothie every morning. You will start to eliminate on a regular basis, reduce bloating and will feel and look thinner and lighter.
6. Avoid excess salt. Salt is a huge contributor to bloat which is found in almost every processed food. It causes puffiness all over the body from your face, your stomach and even your feet. Avoid processed foods as much as possible and refrain from adding any additional salt to your food.
7. Take probiotics! Probiotics are good bacteria that line the digestive tract and help to absorb nutrients while destroying harmful bacteria. Probiotics help to improve digestion along with boosting the immune system.
Following these simple steps can help you avoid bloating and improve your digestive system. Disease starts and ends in the colon so taking care of it is crucial.
~Owner, Smooth-ease LLC